A word about DAM pricing
How can Tandem Vault be so inexpensive?
There’s a question we hear over and over. How can we offer Tandem Vault at a price that is so much lower than our competitors? Comparable services routinely come in at 10x the price we charge. Why is that? Let’s look at the DAM landscape and see how it’s done.
Why are most DAMs so expensive?
Let’s first look at the factors that make traditional DAM software so expensive. There are a couple common items that drive this.
- Legacy pricing – This is pretty easy to understand. Traditional on-premises DAMs were really expensive, as were many of the early cloud DAMs. Once your company is built around 5- and 6-figure sales, it’s difficult to change over to less expensive ones.
- Legacy technology – The way software is now created cuts development cost, time and manpower needs by a factor of 10 or more. But only if you start with a clean slate. And that’s a thing most tech companies are reluctant to do. So you get patches on patches, and in the long run, it costs a lot more to patch than to start fresh.
- Sales-driven marketing – You quickly find that most DAMs are wedded to a classic enterprise software sales process. You can’t really get hard information about pricing, capabilities or user experience until you spend a bunch of time with a sales associate. It’s expensive to run a sales team, and that money has to come from somewhere.
- Not downwardly scalable – All DAMs will tell you that they are scalable (with varying degrees of honesty). What they usually mean is that they can grow to hold as much material and as many users as you want to support. But nearly every system that can actually support a whole enterprise does not offer a full-featured version for smaller teams. So if you want the kind of capabilities that TV3 offers, you’re typically on the hook for $20k or more, even if your current needs are modest.
How we break the entry price barrier
TV3 has been designed from the ground up to be fully scalable: from a “starter” system up to an enterprise-wide application. We know that many organizations’ DAM journey is one of growth, and we’re built to support that from infancy to adulthood.
- Eliminate “technical debt” – when we redesigned Tandem Vault, we made the decision to start with a clean slate, using the most flexible, reliable, and scalable technologies. This took a year and a half, but in the long run, it costs us much less to develop, enhance and maintain.
- SaaS instead of sales-driven marketing – Since its inception 10 years ago, Tandem Vault has always been a SaaS product, and we like it that way. We make software that is easy for a DAM manager to set up themselves. We don’t need expensive engineer time to configure an account, and don’t have a big sales team to pay. We want you to get up and running quickly, for free, and see how good we are with a real, live account.
- Scalable up and down – Most full-featured DAMs don’t even have an offering under $10k/year. And if they do, much of the good stuff has been removed. Our $1200 “Standard” account can hold up to 50,000 full-resolution photos, has an unlimited number of admins and users, and has the full complement of metadata, collaboration and integration tools found in the more expensive versions. As far as upscaling, we offer much better upscaling than most. For instance, our Enterprise package ($38,500/year) allows for an unlimited number of independent sub-accounts for one price. Nobody else does that.
- Working in Tandem, for the long term – We want to bring great DAM software to organizations that didn’t know they could afford it. We can start at the right size for you, whether it’s small, medium or large. For us, DAM is more than just a job – it’s a mission. If you’d like to know more about what we can offer, drop us a line.